Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Food, Food, and more Food!

I have been enjoying all sorts of delicious food lately, and it feels like heaven. Seriously, heaven. I discovered a new place to grocery shop. Harmon's. It's awesome. For those who have never been, you should go check one out. Some examples of cool things they have there that I have not yet purchased:

Edible flowers
Dry Aged Beef (House Aged)
A Cheese section that is the best in Utah other than Caputo's
All Sorts of Weird Fruits
Marshmallows for roasting that are about 4in long

I could go on. Anyway, I have bought all sorts of yummies from them. They have delicious artisanal breads, and my favorite is a sourdough bread with white chocolate and pecans. It is amazing! In fact, I have decided I need a good sourdough recipe so I can make up my own breads. (Ben and Laura, I know you guys have some great bread recipes!)

I also bought maitake mushrooms, which I turned into an AMAZING pasta with some scoparolo cheese from Caputo's. It was a pasta I make pretty often, but the mushrooms and cheese took it to a whole new level. Amazing! They also have other cool mushrooms there, like enoki, oyster, chantarelles, and blue foot mushrooms. I think I will be trying them all before too long.

I bought a dragonfruit. It was gorgeous, but not that tasty. It was a lot like a kiwi, but very bland. They have other cool fruits that we may try in the future.

THEN, we went to Caputo's. We bought cheese and olives, as always, and some new Valrhona chocolates. But the coolest thing we got at Caputo's was.... a Truffle! A black truffle, to be precise. Usually prices at around $800 a pound, we got a screaming deal at just $200 a pound. Luckily, truffles are very light. We paid $6 for one. I wish we had gotten more. Oh well. We made a delicious dish out of Mario Batali's cookbook called Turkey a la Bognese. Basically, it was turkey breast (found at Harmons) breaded and sauteed in butter, then topped with shaved parmaggiano reggiano, shaved truffle, a layer of prosciutto di parma, and finished off with grated pecorino romano. Then you bake until the cheese is bubbling and shave the rest of the truffle on top. It was good and simple. The truffle acts as a flavor enhancer, and also adds its own musky, earthy, mushroomish taste to the party. I liked it, but wish there was more truffle on it. My fault for buying a small truffle.

Anyway, I have been glorying in all of the delectable goodies I have been eating. AND it has the bonus of making me feel like a true gourmand.

No comments: