Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Surprise Baby Shower!

Last night I had no idea what we were doing for Mutual. None of the people at church on Sunday knew either, as the main players were out of town. Needless to say, I was confused, but willing to roll with the punches. Our planned class activity wasn't going to work out, so I was prepared to make something up on the spot if necessary.
Imagine my surprise when I get there, and it's a surprise baby shower for ME! I was SOOO surprised! I was even more surprised later, because I found out Jason knew about it. I don't know how he didn't say anything. I would have at least been tempted to say "I know something you don't know!" or something equally elementary school. But he didn't breathe a word, and I was floored!
First, we played a fun memory game where you match a pregnancy word with a type of candy. For example; Epidural and Life Savers or Preemie and Runts. Some of the pairs were hard to guess- especially dirty diapers. There are just too many candy bars that look or sound like they might be a poopy diaper! But it was really fun, and really made me think outside of the box. Then we played a game where there are assorted baby items in paper bags, and you have to feel them to find out what they are. It was also fun! (As a side note, I want to point out that I have never been to a baby shower before, so I am pretty excited that my first three will all be for me! It's got to be better when you get the presents, right?)
We had a fruit and vegetable tray, and chips and salsa. There was caramel dip too, so that is always a hit. And no, I didn't get to eat any of it. But it sure looked and smelled delicious! Afterwards, I realized that I could have eaten some vegetables. Oh well.
Then I opened presents. Each class got me a gift, and they were so cute! I didn't bring my camera, but I did take pictures of the gifts, and here they are!




The Beehives (my class) got me a bath set! There was a really cute hooded towel and some washcloths, some baby wash, and baby lotion. All super useful, and cute to boot!


The MiaMaids got me a package of diapers (who doesn't need those?) and a $10 gift card to Target. I am looking forward to spending it!




The Laurels gave me a handmade car seat blanket. Amy Peterson, the YW President made it and she is just a crazy sewing machine! It is super cute! You put the straps through and you can wrap it around your baby. I had never heard of one before, and I am surprised I haven't seen one in a store. It seems so practical! It is cute too, with owls.

I just love all the Young Women and the leaders! They are just too sweet! And I can't wait for this baby to get here!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

So glad you had fun! We love you and wanted to let you know that. :)

=0)jessica said...

that's cool! i wish i could have been there...we haven't had time to do much baby shopping yet but we will!!
=0)jessica