Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jason and His Weird Self...


Jason cracks me up. He has this knack for randomly getting strangers to tell him their life story in about 2 minutes flat. I don't have any idea how he does it. I used to think I was a friendly person (well, okay, I still am) but I am NOTHING compared to Jason.

Last year, we were getting gas. Nothing exciting. He starts the pump. The guy at the next station says hi. Jason says hi back, and then asks him where he's headed. Before the pumping is done, he has learned that the guy lives in Springville, is going to Moab, used to be a professional football player for some team that I forgot, why he had to retire, how much money he made, how many he kids he made and more. I am just stunned. I mean, I would have said hi back. But no way would I find all of that out!

A few weeks ago, we went to Stumpy burger on a recommendation (it was good, by the way). We order our food, and because it was pretty empty (well it was 3pm) the guy who does everything there brought it out to us. He mentioned that he created the special fry sauce in Missouri, so Jason asks if that's where he's from. No, the guy is from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and used to be a professor. We learned how many colleges there are in Coeur d'Alene- four, if it's close to mountains, how high the mountains are, how long the guy taught, what he taught and so on and so on. A pretty normal experience for Jason. Then a few minutes later, somebody else comes in to order. The guy pulls Jason into the KITCHEN! To show him how he makes the Philly Cheesesteak because Jason was asking about it when we ordered. He's back there for a few minutes. And to top it off, the guy stops at our table with the food the other people ordered to show him the finished product. My jaw hit the floor! How does Jason get invited back there and not me? I mean, I said more about the food. It was nuts.

The funniest thing of all about this encounter? I was like "I don't know how you get everybody to be your best friend in 2 minutes flat." Jason: "I don't know what you're talking about. Some people are just friendly." Me: "You think he takes EVERYBODY into the kitchen?" Jason: "Well, yeah. This is pretty normal." My jaw hit the floor AGAIN! I mean seriously, how can he think that is normal behavior? I have never once been invited into a kitchen. And I am pretty sure that guy doesn't invite everyone in there either. I guess Jason just has a magic touch...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

What a great gift to have. Wish I was more like that.