Monday, October 19, 2009

Some NOT so exciting news...

So, I had a doctor's appointment today, and I found out I have Gestational Diabetes. I failed my one hour glucose test, and had to go in for a three hour glucose test last Thursday. (Which was a nightmare, let me tell you!) To be diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, 2 out of 4 blood draws have to show high blood sugar levels. All four of my blood draws were high, so I definitely have it.
What is it? 4% of women develop Gestational Diabetes. Basically, the placenta interferes with your body's ability to absorb insulin. Once you are no longer pregnant, you no longer have the problem, so that is good news. It can cause the baby to produce extra insulin, since insulin does not cross the placenta, but high blood sugar does, which is why it's so important to monitor it.
What does this mean? Well, for me, I have to do the prick test for blood sugar levels 4 times a day. I will have to strictly monitor my diet, and I'm not sure how to do that yet. I will have appointments with a Diabetic Counselor at the hospital, and I will have to report to them weekly. They will help me set up a diet and exercise plan. So far, I know I can't have any sweets, juice, sugary fruits, rice, and most likely pasta. Luckily, there is no real risk to me. There is an increased risk of pre-eclampsia, but we'll take that when we get to it. For the baby, it's still very low risk- especially if I monitor myself like I should, but there are some possible complications. G.D. can result in very high birth weight babies, or very low. It can also result in large amounts of amniotic fluid. The placenta sometimes becomes "old" or less effective much more quickly, and the baby's lungs don't mature as quickly. I am a little concerned about this, as I am terrified to deliver a 10 pounder or worse. They did say they would induce me if my baby is looking particularly large, but because the lungs take longer to mature, there is more risk with that.
In the long run, I am at a much higher risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes with in the next five years, and 2 out of 3 women who have had G.D. get it again on their next pregnancy. If it's not monitored, the baby will be producing extra insulin, which can cause obesity later in life. Basically, the doctor told me that I should just adopt the diet I am given forever, to decrease my odds of getting Diabetes later. Also, I am at a higher risk because I have PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome), and they are sister diseases. One almost always gets the other.
Overall, everything should be fine. It is the most common pregnancy problem, and very easily treated. There is a possibility that I will have to take an oral medication to help, or even insulin shots, but most cases are easily monitored through diet. Most of the risks are during the pregnancy, and the baby should be just fine. I am thinking positive, and it's looking like I won't have to have a Christmas baby after all, which is certainly a good thing! Plus, a little diet and exercise never hurt anyone!

6 comments:

Laura said...

The very most important thing when you get any not so great news is to have a good attitude, and it's clear you do. You're going to do so well! When we learned about Clyde the doctors were amazed how positive we were and look, now you wouldn't even know what we had to go through! Keep up your good work! You have a wonderful disposition and it's clearly serving you well as you made it through the swine flu and this news and I can still see your smile through your words!

Carrie said...

Oh Amanda! I am sorry to hear that, but I know you will handle it all in stride, just like you always do. You are an amazing person, and amazing friend, and are going to be an amazing mom.

Emily said...

Maybe I will be brave and try to do the diet and exersize with you. I did do a work-out video yesterday. But, I also really enjoyed my SpookyCat cookies tonight.

Overall Family said...

Maybe we all should go on your diet. I know that I wish someone told me that I could not eat sweets, but I would probably sneak them. Sorry to hear about you GD. Good luck you are almost at the end.

I am a mother! said...

At least you can still eat McDonalds parfaits!!! That is a good thing!

=0)jessica said...

don't worry too much, it's pretty common and when it's managed well you don't get giant babies. in my L&D rotations there were many women without GD delivering 9lbs+ kids most of the time without complications, some women make big babies.

hugs!