Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Swine Flu :(

I am sure you are all just ravenously curious about the swine flu. Okay, maybe not. But I am sick of being sick, and thought I would whine a bit about it, and then you can all feel sorry for me!
First off, last week, before I got sick, my Dad called to warn me. He had been reading some articles about the swine flu in pregnant women, and was pretty worried. Especially since their stats were wrong (which he did say they probably were) and said that 1 in 3 that got it died. It's not that high. Or anywhere near it. But anyway, being myself and not at all worried that I might catch the flu, I told him I would be extra careful.
Fast forward about 3 days... SATURDAY
I am starting to get sick. I have a tiny bit of phlegminess in my nose, but nothing too bad. I think it might just be another pregnancy symptom, since I have had a stuffy nose on and off my whole pregnancy.
SUNDAY
While eating a Rolo, I inhale about half of it and promptly start hacking out a lung. I'm not sure I got it all out, since I am still hacking for the next few days. Nose is still stuffy. Still think I'm not getting sick.
(Jason- feels a little shaky, but thinks it might be because he didn't eat breakfast)
MONDAY
I am feeling pretty crappy today. I now think I might be getting sick, but still not sure. It's hard to tell, because I am having a bad day anyway, and anytime you cry you feel nasty and have nose issues.
(Jason- a little back pain, it's deal-with-able)
TUESDAY
WHAM! I am SOOOO sick! I can't talk, I can't breathe, I am wheezy, I have a bad fever Tuesday night, I am achy, I have a sore throat, I am still hacking away, and I am permanently attached to a box of Kleenex. Also, I am having another crappy day. Jason agrees to come home, Thank Goodness!
(Jason- major back pain, confusion, and feeling a little bit sick. Feels he was lucky to make it home.)
WEDNESDAY
We decide to go to the doctor. Okay, Jason decides he wants to go to the doctor, and I figure I might as well get something to make me feel better if we're already going. We get tested, and we have the swine flu. Yippee. Can you tell that I am just having an awesome week? :( Plus, in order to get tammaflu (or however you spell it) you have to go in within 48 hours of your first symptom. So we were too late. Still feeling awful. Biggest thing I notice today. Sluggishness. Major. It's work to keep an expression on my face. Plus all the symptoms of Tuesday. On the plus side, I no longer have a fever. But on the down side, I am getting the chills major. Sweating sucks too. And we have NO appetite. Nothing whatsoever sounds edible. I choke down some chicken, feeling on the verge of tears the whole time. And I LIKE chicken!
(Jason- WHAM! Feels totally awful. Everything I had Tuesday, plus extra back pain. And he had a fever of 101.something at the doctor. That's the only number I can quote, because we still don't have a thermometer. I should really go buy one sometime. Plus he has really freaky dreams- due to the fever.)
THURSDAY
Still feeling awful. And now we are getting cabin fever too! Plus, soup, while super tasty, is just not very filling, although it's about the only thing either of us will eat without feeling like we need to cry. This marks the beginning of feeling better, though neither of us are sure at this point. Jason is about one day behind me, so you can just guess how he is feeling from now on. I will say though, that his fever broke, and he is over the fever part. I am tired of watching TV. Really tired of it. And I have read almost all of my books recently. Grrr. Being cooped up is awful!
FRIDAY
We are both sort of getting our appetitites back. And since the doctor said we are not contagious 24 hours after the last fever, we decide to brave a drive thru to grab some dinner. Partly because we don't feel like cooking, partly because if we eat more tomato soup we might die, and mostly because if we have to sit in the house anymore we will die. Don't worry. We totally sanitized our money and were really careful. We're not supposed to be contagious, but it seems weird, since we are both still sick.
SATURDAY
I am feeling quite a bit better- actually put on some make up, so that tells you alot. Still phlegmy, still coughing and sore throatish, but no more aches or chills. And the nose things are way better.
TODAY
Slept through most of the night, which was AWESOME! Still have some congestion and I am hoping we will be better before too long!

To wrap up: the swine flu is not all that different from the regular flu, except it's like 8 times more severe and hits really suddenly. But luckily, it doesn't seem to be SUPER awful for too long, although I expect there will be little bits of sickness to remain for a while. Neither of us got close to dying, although my Dad did chew me out a bit for not being more careful.

As a side note, I have no idea how I got it. Maybe a shopping cart handle or something? I haven't been around any sick people. It is weird. But now I don't have to get the vaccine! :)

Also, I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all of our loving and wonderful friends! Everyone offered to go to the grocery store for us (Jason Acosta won that one, and we are so grateful!) and a few people in our ward are bringing us dinners this week. I feel so loved, and lucky to have such fantabulous friends! You guys are the BEST!

7 comments:

Katie said...

That sounds horrible. I am really thankful the statistics were wrong about preggo people dying, but even more thankful that you are finally feeling better. You look really cute in your pictures, btw.

Kelli Nicole said...

Apparently, swine flu can live on a deposited surface for 2-8 hours, and many grocery stores (including walmart) have those cart sanitizer things by the entrance. I think the main thing for people is to make sure you never touch your face unless necessary (it can only enter through your nose, eyes, or mouth) and wash your hands at least 10 times a day (according to some things I've seen on the news lately). The virus is killed by heat and alcohol (hand sanitizers that have close to 70% alcohol content are good to have handy if you can't wash your hands) among other things. Also, vitamin D3 is a great protector against any flu so if you can't get some sunshine then cod liver oil is a good bet :).

Oh, and a large amount of the people who die from swine flu (and regular flu) have secondary bacterial infections that aren't diagnosed or treated.

Glad you're getting better!!

I am a mother! said...

Glad things are on the up and up! When you bounce back all the way and feel up do it let me know and we will plan a cookie date. =-)

Emily said...

Yuck, Amanda. I hope you guys recover fully. You are the first person I actually know to get the swine flu, though Amanda emailed me on my birthday and said Shane has it too. You are still somewhat of a celebrity. I am going to get the vaccine as soon as my Dr. office gets it. Good luck!

Jason said...

yay! i'm the best! although i would have to say that jack should be included in this shout-out because he was in the car with me when we delivered the goods and cried that we actually couldn't see Manda and Jay-sus because they were sick and had owie.

Shanda said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better!!

mindy said...

BTW that Shanda comment was from me. I din't realize that my niece was logged in. Now you know you don't have a weird stalker.