Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A crazy surprise!




Yesterday morning, at 36.5 weeks, I had a doctor's appointment. I was planning on being induced on the 17th, and they told me that they would only consider inducing me a week early if my cervix was softened. I guess your body has to be ready or something like that. They could give me drugs for it, but won't. So, I was going to be checked, and I was hoping and praying that my cervix would be softish. Maybe not soft enough to induce yet, but soft enough that they would consider inducing me in a few weeks.
The midwife is checking me, and she gets this really weird look on her face. Immediately, I am paranoid and thinking "Oh no! What's wrong!" Then she says she is going to have to check me again, so she does so. "Well, induction is certainly an option!" she says. Then she tells me that I am dilated to a FIVE and 90% effaced. I am sure my face was in total shock! I mean, keep in mind that I am still 3 days away from being full term. She was also in shock! She told me that most women don't reach a five until they are in hard labor, and here I am, clueless, with no contractions at all! She also told me that I will likely go really quickly, and probably soon. The baby was at a -2 station, so it didn't necessarily mean any day now, but she kept saying "If you're pregnant next week..."
I had contractions (very very mild ones) for about 7 hours on Sunday, and I think that is why I was dilated so far. But then last night I had some more, for about five hours. I called the midwife on call to see if I should go in, but she didn't seem concerned, so we decided to just wait it out. They ended up ebbing off, and we went to bed. Nevertheless, I don't think it will be long at all before this baby arrives. Maybe today will be the big day!

3 comments:

I am a mother! said...

I keep checking my phone for a message or text about the baby coming!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! This is all too exciting. Good luck!

Julie said...

Lucky you! I hope things go great for you! Just be ready for the baby to come, you may not take long once you start having regular contractions. My contractions were never severe until I was ready to push that baby out. Hopefully you will have some warning and be able to get to the hospital on time.