Friday, April 24, 2009

What a glorious day!

I had the most amazing experience this evening, and I just wanted to share it, as I am practically bursting with happiness. As most of you know, Logan (my brother) and I have been on the outs for years. I mean YEARS. We absolutely hated each other when we were both living at home. After I moved out, we barely tolerated each other. There was no more fighting, but we just ignored each other. No eye contact or anything. Then, as I mature a little bit, I began to direct basic questions at him or join into conversations that he was a part of. He would ignore me completely and act like I hadn't said anything. Then we got to the point that he would answer me, but not look at me while he did it. At that point I actually called him on his birthday even though I was terrified to do it. I felt on top of the world. Before tonight, we were on casual greeting terms. It was really difficult, because I wanted to have a relationship with him, but it's really hard to overcome all those years. Especially since he was was not interested.

But this evening, he sent me a text message. Out of the blue. It read:
Hey sister. I know we have had our issues, but I really miss you. I miss the whole family. I can't wait till the next time we have Thanksgiving.

Honestly, I cried. And as I am writing this, I am tearing up again. I of course responded, and we had a few passed texts. But honestly, I think this is the first time he has instigated a conversation since I was probably 8. Unless you count yelling and name-calling, which I don't. I know how hard it must have been for him to send me that text, and I am so glad he did! I just feel like life is all of a sudden brighter and more hopeful. Honestly, I don't think I knew how much it was hurting me until all of a sudden I feel like it's being resolved.
I just feel so full of love, and it makes me think that this must be how Heavenly Father and Christ feel when we are renewing our relationships with them. I know that I have not been very good at my own relationship with my Heavenly Father, but I am now going to try harder and harder.
There is nothing like the feeling of regaining a loved one, you guys. I have never felt anything so amazing in my life. So, even though I am sure Logan would be mortified if he ever read this, I just had to share and document such a powerful feeling. Don't give up hope. If you keep working at it, even though it seems hopeless, it will come around eventually.
I love you all so much, and I am so grateful for your part in my life. I am sure you don't realize what an impact you have on me, but thanks for being there for me anyway!

7 comments:

I am a mother! said...

I am so happy for you Amanda. What a wonderful thing. I guess you never know when the desires of our hearts will be given to us. What a blessing!

Overall Family said...

That is so awesome Amanda. Logan is such a great kid. Thanks for never giving up. As you get older you will realize even how much more important family is to you. Thanksgiving is going to be a fun time.

Jason said...

love it. good job and thanks for the inspiration. the acostas love you, too.

Hazel said...

Oh Amanda, I didn't have any idea you guys weren't close. That is how out of it I was. I am so glad you have broken down a wall. There is just too much division in the world. We don't need to fight with the ones that we love the most. I am really, really so happy for you. I won't tell Logan about this post either, you're welcome for that last bit.

TheEmmetts said...

Oh that is wonderful... and yes i do remember the distance between you guys!! i'm glad its being resolved :D Love you tons!!
Mariah

mindy said...

I didn't realize you guys had issues either. I'm glad you shared this, it made me tear up as well. You're awesome and I'm glad he realized what he is missing out on.

Andrea said...

Yessss! Score. I relate a little to this.