Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Consequences

So, when Jason was 17, he got in a really bad car accident. He was driving down a very curvy road in the rain (and going fast, of course) when he lost control. He regained it, but hit a truck head on coming the other direction. He was going about 50mph, and he was knocked backwards, so that truck was speeding like nuts! Anyway- the steering wheel shoved into his face, and then between the seats. He broke his jaw in three places and had it wired shut for 9 weeks, and also had to have his nose reconstructed.
So why am I telling this story? I'll tell you. Ever since then, Jason's teeth have been horrible. He had tons of hairline fractures all through them, and so he was very susceptible to cavities and root canals. I think he has had about four so far, maybe more- three since I've known him, and has two more teeth that need them. So, yesterday, he was flossing, and a huge chunk of a root canal-ed tooth broke off. So, of course, we call around to dentists (and of course we have no dental insurance) and find someone who can get us in. But- that tooth is so bad now, he has to go see an Endodontist. Who will no doubt charge exorbitant amounts. Anyway- while at the dentist, we found out that he has three failing root canals that will have to be redone, one failed apocayectomy (or something like that- it was a tooth surgery), and like six teeth that need crowned. So, we will be shoveling as much money as we can to get all of Jason's teeth fixed so he won't lose them all. Poor Jason! Yikes! The total bill (including a 15% discount, and it was the cheapest we could find) will run us about $11,000. And all I can think is- there goes my hope of getting a new car this year. Sigh.

5 comments:

I am a mother! said...

I am so, so, so, so, so SORRY!! That is KILLER!!! I just can't believe that price tag. Man, oh, man. I am so sorry to hear that.

Hazel said...

Curses! Did you consider just putting him down? We had a cat with some expensive problems...we just put her down.

Feeling better? And I have been watching your ticker...17 big ones! Way to go!

mindy said...

I think I need as much dental work as Jason, and I don't have the excuse of a car accident.

Big Papi said...

You could always just pull them all out and get a nice blender. A hamburger and fries shake sounds great right about now.

- prommeat

P.S. Prommeat was the word verification.

Kelli Nicole said...

I remember that accident and visiting him in the hospital and all the complaining about chunks of food in his dinner smoothies. By the way, dental insurance is really really cheap.