Saturday, February 28, 2009

Williams-Sonoma Chicken Essentials


So, I went to a new Williams-Sonoma class this morning. It was called Chicken Essentials. Unfortunately, I had to leave early, so I didn't actually get to taste anything, but it was all smelling really good! Here are some things I learned:
You should always grill your meat at room temperature because it seals in the moisture. Also, thawing frozen chicken causes it to lose alot of moisture.
Organic Chicken weighs more than Regular Chicken.
You can use a panini press to grill meat (yet another reason I need one!)

Here's a few recipes we did:
Chicken Satay
2 Shallots, quartered
2 cloves of garlic, halved
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp lemon grass powder
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
Mix them all together in a food processor.
Add 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut milk and 2 Tbsp water and process again. It should be a thick paste.
Put it in a big ziploc and add 1.5 lbs of cubed raw chicken breasts. Marinate overnight. Skewer and grill. Mmmm!

Chipotle Chicken Panini
Find the recipe here:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipeDetail.cfm?objectid=CD344450-091D-2356-32728D77CBC6B7A8

The rub is chipotle, cumin, oregano, onions and garlic. I'm sure you could make you own rub or marinade. It would also be tasty with a different rub, I think.

3 comments:

I am a mother! said...

Sorry you missed the food! The rest of the class we just spent waiting for the food to come. It was all really yummy (except the chicken kabobs weren't cooked all the way so a lot of us ate some raw chicken. They just threw it back on the grill).

Wish we could have visited more but seeing that I got there late and you had to leave early...
Hope you have a great weekend!

I am a mother! said...

PS-Thanks for posting the recipes on your blog. I never cross checked my crazily/messy written brownies made with a chocolate bar notes with yours so if you are ever bored, and don't know what to blog about that would be a great recipe to post. ;-)

Those may be the best brownies I've ever had!!

Hazel said...

So wait, are you telling me not to freeze my chicken? That is why my food always sucks. I need this class so bad. (I am pretty sure my food sucks for other reasons too.) What is the point of the class if you don't get to taste?