Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm a Slacker! And a Mooch!


Gosh- I am such a slacker! I have just now realized that my last post was on Saturday. And now it is Tuesday night. I am ashamed. Very, very ashamed. I keep meaning to post things- I had a ton of things laid out for Sunday, Monday, and Today (okay, most of them happened on Saturday) but I have forgotten most of them. Here is one thing I remember.

I had a great time on Saturday going to a cooking class! It was called Chocolate Obsession, and let me tell you, it was a great title. Williams-Sonoma offers free cooking classes every other week (and sometimes more often) on Saturday mornings. Although, I think the classes are usually on Sundays, but here in Mormonville, they switch it for us. I have been to a ton of really great ones. My favorites have been Balsamic Vinegar, Pizza, Breakfast, and of course, Chocolate Obsession.
Here are some cool things I learned:
Most white chocolate you find (seriously- you have probably never had real white chocolate) is fake. It's just vanilla flavored waxy stuff. Not real chocolate. Real white chocolate is extremely rare and expensive.
The best way to shave chocolate is with a serrated knife, not a straight one.
The vanilla they sell at W.S. comes from three different locations (three separate vanillas) which you can also find other places. Mexican (which is the sweetest and goes best with chocolate), Tahitian (which is the most intense) and Madagascar (which is a middle-ish one.)
The commonly accepted best chocolate for use in baking or pastries is Valrhona.
What I ate:
A panini made with a croissant stuffed with chocolate and bananas (so good!)
A brownie from the W.S. mix (best Mix brownie ever.)
A brownie made from scratch with real chocolate bars (not cocoa powder) Super good and gooey!
A Cheater Chocolate Mousse
A molten lava cake called a Bouchon from a mix they sell. It was gooey all over! (In the photo)
Ganache (always a favorite!)
I think that was it, but I may be forgetting a few things I ate. Anyway- it was an amazing class, and I learned a ton. They also give you recipes, which is great. I got one for Balsamic Brownies, which really intrigue me. I would strongly suggest trying a class if they have a Williams-Sonoma by you. Hey- it's free, right?

6 comments:

Hazel said...

I had no idea there was a free cooking class where you got to eat chocolate. I would have so been there.

Where can I get white chocolate? I am on a mission to taste it before I die now. If I enjoy the white flavored waxy stuff, I am for sure going to go gaga over the real stuff.

Amanda said...

Not sure... I will find out and let you know.

Dallas said...

Yummy... BTW, did you take that picture? Great photography.

Amanda said...

No. I did not take that photo. I stole it form the WS website. I am nowhere near that good!

I am a mother! said...

That really was a fun class. If things don't get too crazy this weekend I'd like to go to the soup one with you.

mindy said...

If you go to the soup class and get good recipes, please share.